Looking for Ways to Balance Work and Family…Tell Me About It!
We’ve all witnessed employees and peers getting burned out, and we always think, “that will never be me.” But it can be increasingly difficult to live a life of balance, especially between work and family. While both aspects of your life demand a lot of your time and increasingly impinge on the other aspects of your life, we all know it is important to find a balance in all things.
Founded On Family
I am proud to say the idea of finding balance between a successful work life and a successful home life is kind of a big deal around Superior. My grandfather founded this company on the idea of increasing efficiencies for our clients to not only increase their sales, but also to increase their ability to spend time away from the office, doing what they love, with the people they love.
I too struggle with finding balance every day. That’s why this week I pulled together 5 ways to find balance between your work and family life to continue my #THRIVE15 series. Whether you’re the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, a new dad with a new job, or an intern at a mom and pop, you still need to find that balance in order to thrive.
5 Ways to Balance Work and Family
- Establish limits and boundaries: There should be a limit to how much you’re willing to let work seep into family life. Even in this day of diminishing separation between work and family (or, perhaps, because of it), it’s healthy to keep some conscious boundaries in place. I work late usually until 6 most nights but during lacrosse games, I am focused on family and they know it.
- Don’t try to find perfect balance: There is a degree to which maintaining balance can be more exhausting than the alternative. And trying to keep a perfect balance is just plain impossible. There will be times when you have to give and take what you can; just remain conscious of what you and your family needs, and don’t forget the people, boundaries, and events that matter most.
- Build family time into your schedule: Are you in the habit of filling your calendar to brimming with the things you need to do? Do you sometimes over-book yourself or over estimate what can be accomplished in a normal day? Then you might want to build family downtime into your schedule so that you’re more likely to make time for those things and less likely to burn yourself out.
- Prioritize: This is especially important after a significant transition. You may not be able to carry on with all the activities you once filled your spare time with after having children. It’s important to step back and take a good look at your priorities before a life change like that, so that you can figure out what can be cut if need be.
- Get enough sleep: This imperative can’t be stressed enough. We’re not college kids anymore who can skip a two o’clock class to finish a paper and take a nap. We have clearly defined schedules, and getting 7-8 hours of sleep each night is essential to our well being, both physically and emotionally.
Find More Time…
Like I said earlier, at Superior Business Solutions we are keenly aware of the importance of family. We’re a family-owned business after all and we know that the balance between work and family is important to how well we do in each aspect of our lives and to how well we THRIVE!
Please reach out to me HERE to chat further about some of the challenges you may be running into in your work day that may be slowing you and your business down and keeping you at the office far too late on far too many nights. Think print commodity management and promotional management and think success at work and time away from the office with those you love.