Calling prospects is a marketing strategy that will always be around because of its effectiveness. There are several strategies you can use to increase cold prospect penetration, and accelerate their interest in both taking your call and spending time talking to you. If your company still focuses a lot if its energy in making sales calls to generate new leads, below are some tactics that you will want to integrate into your marketing plan.
- Timing is everything. Do not call prospects during the middle of the day when they could be in the middle of something. Try to make more of your calls at the beginning and end of the day for more effective communication. Get in early and call before 8:00 a.m. local time, when prospects may get in a little early too prepare before their meetings start.
- Be proactive! Call ahead and set up a time for a meeting. This way the person you are talking with has agreed to give you their time, you’re not racing against the clock, and your lead will be qualified since they are giving you the time to talk.
- Get smart with your introductions. There are too many tools available today that can help you tap into the networks of your peers, colleagues, and fellow sales reps. Depending on what you’re selling and to whom, you’re likely no more than 2-3 connections away from the individual you want to speak with. Make sure that your LinkedIn profile is up to date and that you are connected with everyone you know professionally.
- Do your homework and get personal. Show your prospect that you’ve done your homework, and that you can attach something you care about with something they care about. A recent product launch or a round of funding. Something that you can tie together with what you are selling.
- Always offer something of value. Know your audience well enough that you can create and offer them something that immediately helps them in their current job. Be able to word it in a way that it’s easy to understand and say yes to. If an explanation is too wordy or complicated, you are most likely to lose your prospect.
What other tips would you add to this list?
Photo courtesy of flickr